Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Vision and a Bus Schedule: "Bad Animals"

I loved “Bad Animals,” yet once again, I don’t know why. It wasn’t creepy like the biker-witches, so I think that I’ll have to say I enjoyed it more. I didn’t have that sort of torn feeling between wanting to like it and wanting to walk away quickly from the room. Instead, it was just kind of...pure comedy. Funny for the sake of it being funny and altogether ridiculous.

Trying to imagine myself in the guy’s place, I’d be pretty freaked out if a giant chicken, mouse, and bear started following me. It was so hilarious in the way that it was done, though! The way the different shots were set up were pretty interesting, too. I liked how it would just kind of switch from showing the mouse guy a seat away to him being suddenly right there next to the guy. And the scene where he was getting beaten up was quite funny. Had it been people beating him up, it would’ve been awful. But it was animals. So it was funny. Go figure how that works...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It seemed like it was fairly simple to set up for and make, too. Like Professor Leeper said, they pretty much just needed a bus schedule. I’m sure that a pretty decent amount of time and effort was put into it, but it was by no means “blockbuster” quality or anything. That’s part of what made it so great, though! The fact that it didn’t have any complex tricks was actually part of the charm of the short film. It was an absurd idea, and so to have too high a quality of filming wouldn’t have helped it any I think.
As for the lack of closure, since it didn’t have any grand significant plot, it didn’t bother me that much. Besides, I watch a lot of anime; I’m used to unsatisfying endings. Haha.

Overall, I have to say, I really did enjoy it. It was a funny little nonsense film that was purely made for the sake of delighting / entertaining...and I’d say it accomplished its purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home