Wednesday, October 18, 2006

"Ryan"


To be truthful, I’m not exactly sure what I plan on writing about “Ryan.” My plan here is to just start typing and hope that something mildly intelligent comes out of it all at the end.

I suppose that I’ll start by saying that it left me feeling a little depressed. It was an interesting concept--how all the traumas and difficulties the characters had been through in life physically took pieces out of them--but it made it all the more evident that they were broken people. I realize that we all must live with a certain level of brokenness in our lives, but that doesn’t make it anymore easier to witness. If anything, it makes it harder, because things like this then play into our own doubts and fears that hide in the dark corners of our minds, without shedding any light of hope into the scene.

Then again, maybe I’m just over-thinking all of this. I’ve become rather good at over-thinking things; it’s a skill I accidentally seem to have developed over time. I’m also far more sensitive than I would like to admit to being, so it’s possible that part of my brain is just kicking in here. So maybe for the time being I’ll set that all aside and talk about the other aspects to the film at work here.

The animation itself was well done. Sometimes with computer animation I walk away feeling that it was somehow cold or devoid of emotion or something. But for whatever reason, I didn’t get that feeling with this one. Probably because it’s hard to seem devoid of emotion when your film deals heavily in emotion suffering…But I digress; I said that I wasn’t going to talk about that anymore, didn’t I?

I’m trying to search my brain for remaining thoughts about “Ryan,” but I’ve got nothing. So to sum things up, let me just say that I thought it was a very well done and intriguing piece, even if it did seem to be a little on the depressing side.

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Peter Ahlersmeyer said...

I thought Ryan was one of the most intelligent 3d animations ever. it was supr artistic yet easy for the average viewer to comprehend. I loved how honesty was the theme thruought the show. and i did research o ryan larkin and supposedly hes making new films

 

Post a Comment

<< Home